Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fooling Yourself


On 7/7/77, the band Styx released its "Grand Illusion" album with one of my favorite songs, "Fooling Yourself."  With couplets like

" How can you be such an angry young man
When your future looks quite bright to me"

and

" Get up, get back on your feet
You're the one they can't beat and you know it"

it should be everyone's favorite!

I wonder how many of us are fooling ourselves with what we eat.  I know that I do.

How many times have you gone for a walk and then thought, "I must have really burned off a lot of calories.  I probably burned off enough so that I can have this Snickers Bar."  In reality, in a half hour walk, you probably only burned off about 110 calories and a Snickers Bar comes in at about 271 calories.

I know what you're thinking, "Thank God I didn't get the king size bar!"

Think some more.  You really are fooling yourself!

Another way to fool yourself is to avoid mirrors, especially when you have no clothes on.  I know that I look at myself after a shower and as long as I am facing the mirror and flexing a little I can say, "Not bad."

Heaven help me if I turn sideways an see the massive mountain formally known as my stomach that starts about halfway down my chest.  No amount of flexing will pull that baby in!

If you really want to lose weight, stop fooling yourself by knowing exactly what particular activities burn for calories and be sure to read all the labels of what you eat.  Hang a full length mirror in your bedroom and use it regularly.

Stop fooling yourself!


Professor Tom Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment